One Tough Costumer — hand sewing

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice: FINISHING THE BODICE

Posted by Margo Anderson on

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice:  FINISHING THE BODICE

Welcome back to The Elizabethan Bodice Sew Along!  Today we are going to discuss all the remaining things you need to do to finish your bodice!   In our last installment, we finished our seams and bound the edges of our bodice.   Bound bodice, waiting for finishing treatments. We had skipped the instructions on skirting, because we had planned on adding the skirting/tabs after the binding went on, in order to make it easier for adjusting for weight.  However, we first had to choose trims for the bodice. Choosing the trims. We had some dark teal velvet we were planning on...

Read more →

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice: FINISHING SEAMS AND BINDING YOUR EDGES

Posted by Margo Anderson on

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice:  FINISHING SEAMS AND BINDING YOUR EDGES

Welcome back to The Elizabethan Bodice Sew Along!  Today we are going to focus on seaming our stacked pattern pieces, and finishing the edges with binding tape.   In our last installment, we stacked our layers and cinched our armsyce. Stacked bodice pieces, stitched and ready for seaming. In the instruction manual for #012, it is recommended that you sew your back seam together first.  As this is a front opening bodice, we had put our back seam on a fold, so we did not have to do this step.  Nor did we have any extra fabric in the side seams...

Read more →

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice: STACKING YOUR LAYERS AND CINCHING YOUR ARMSYCE

Posted by Margo Anderson on

#012 The Elizabethan Bodice:  STACKING YOUR LAYERS AND CINCHING YOUR ARMSYCE

Welcome back to The Elizabethan Bodice Sew Along!  Today we are going to focus on stacking our layers, and cinching our armsyce. In our last installment, we constructed our flatlining by adding stiffening and boning to it.  Now we are going to take all those layers, and start turning them into something resembling a bodice.   Our flatlining, ready to be stacked! We took our fashion fabric, and put it on the table RIGHT side down.  Then we took our flatlining and put it WRONG sides together with it's coordinating fashion fabric piece.  If we had interlining, we would have put...

Read more →

The First Garment is Done

Posted by Margo Anderson on

The First Garment is Done

I'm so sorry!  I thought I had posted this two weeks ago, and it's been sitting in the "save" file the whole time. I'm back from my vacation.  The total eclipse was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen in my life, and I urge you all, if you can, to see one.   I spent the hour or so leading up to the eclipse sitting in a camp chair working on my drawers.   They look pretty comical before the waistband is put on. A couple of people were flummoxed when they asked what I was sewing, and I...

Read more →

The Royal Underwear, and How I'm Hand Sewing It

Posted by Margo Anderson on

I've started work on the first garment for the Queen of Margonia project, a pair of hand stitched drawers made from the pattern in the Italian Underpinnings package.   I don't usually hand stitch my garments, especially those that won't show in the final wearing, but I wanted a television watching project. The work is actually going faster than I expected, and is quite relaxing.  The fabric is a really nice smooth tightly woven linen, part of a set of curtains I found at a thrift store.  I've already made my husband a shirt from it, so I only have a...

Read more →