bodice with trim divided into eight sections (four front, four back),
the chevroned slashing in the black velveteen to expose the ivory
satin underdeanth. This design is continued down the front of the
skirt and around the hem; as well as on the sleeves and the attifet.
There is also a lot of detailing with faux "diamond" buttons
with faux pearl and silver beads of varying sizes outlining the decorative
"I made the doublet styled bodice with the "fitted"
sleeves opening down the front, shoulder rolls, split skirting, and
the open fronted overskirt and the matching attifet. The forepart
and underpinnings are not included in what is in the competition.
"I did not make any real alterations to the pattern
except for the sizing. I made the doublet in a fitted size, but I
used the largest size of the sleeves in the pattern. I was looking
for a baggier sleeve but not the Pheonix sleeve shape. I also wanted
it to open down the front. On hot days it's more comfortable to wear
them hanging than closed, and it's more 'correct' than not wearing
your sleeves. To make it fit in the armscye I simply pleated the excess
fabric in a decorative manner. The sleeves lace in using grommet tape
on both the sleeves and the shoulders of the doublet in a 'hidden'
"The black cotton velveteen is slashed with ivory
satin showing thru from underneath. I used faux metal and jeweled
buttons surrounded by faux pearls and silver beads as my decoration.
The slashing and beading also continue down the front and around the
hem of the skirt. The slashing and beading pattern on the sleeves
and attifet match. All of the beading is actually hand sewn on. Black
and white braid outline almost all of my seams and edges. The lining
of the sleeves matches the forepart (that isn't finished).
button and pearl decorations are actually made individually with jewelry
wire and then each sewn on. I made over a hundred of these, each containing
one button, four 6mm pearls, four 4mm pearls, and eight 4mm silver
beads. On the sleeves and attifet I used larger pearls (forget the
size) to punctuate the slashes.
"I must say... I used all the pattern pieces from
Margo Anderson except for the skirt. I always just cut that out of
4 pieces of the same length fabric and pleat it onto a grosgrain waistband.
Also, while I did use the pieces of the pattern, in most cases I didn't
really use the instructions. The research in the manual is invaluable.
I read thru it all when I first recieved it, but did not refer to
it during the construction of this dress. I've just been doing it
for so long, I don't really find that necessary.
"Oh, yeah.... didn't spend an additional penny
on the dress. It's 100% from my stash, notions included."
Photos on this page used with permission.